Recipe from: Against All Grain: Meals Made Simple – by Danielle Walker
Overnight Breakfast Casserole
With a little prep the night before, you can be waking up to a protein packed, low carb breakfast, that will leave you satisfied till lunch. The first time I tried it was at a Sunday brunch. My friend who made it had over five people asking for the recipe. Trust me, it’s a breeze to make and a big hit for the entire family. The best part is that you can easily customize it to your own taste buds.
Softened ghee or palm shortening for greasing the slow cooker
1/2 pound bulk breakfast sausage, crumbled
6 ounces bacon, chopped
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
1 pound white sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
16 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
1 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Green onions, for garnish
- Grease a slow-cooker insert well with palm shortening or softened ghee.
- Cook the sausage, bacon, and onion in a skillet over medium-high heat for 10 to 12 minutes, until the sausage is browned and the onion is softened. Drain off the excess fat.
- Place the shredded sweet potatoes in the slow cooker, and press them down slightly.
- Add the meat and onion mixture and the bell peppers to the slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milks, salt, mustard, and pepper. Pour into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Yield: 10 servings
Calories per serving: 375