The inspiration for these yummy cookies hail from the shores of New Zealand and Australia. The story is that the women of Australia and New Zealand sent these ANZAC Biscuits to the men serving in the army since they shipped well and did not spoil. Kate Morgan over at The Healthy Gut has tweaked the original recipe to be gut friendly and low carb. We enjoy sharing this recipe to all of our clients who need to know that you can still have a delicious cookie even when working through a restricted diet!
1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 cup walnuts (chopped very finely in a food processor)
1/3 cup vegan butter or coconut oil
3 tbs honey
1 tbs water
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp Cinnamon
- Pre-heat your oven to 250F. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl place the almond flour, coconut and walnuts. Mix together and create a well in the middle of the mixture.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter (or coconut oil) and honey together. Take the saucepan off the heat and add the baking soda and water. Stir this until it becomes a white-ish foam.
- Pour your honey and butter mix into the well in your dry ingredients. Add the vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Take a tablespoon-full of the mixture and roll it in your palm into a ball, as firmly as possible. Be patient, this mix holds together well but needs a little handling. Place the ball on your baking tray and flatten out a little.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Leave to cool on the baking sheet and don’t handle until they have hardened.